After the success of the seat slope mod for the ’15 -’20 FZ/FJ/MT/Tracers I worked with some members of the community to design a solution for the 2021+ Tracer 9 GT Seats (NOTE: 2023 Models have NOT been tested yet, and indications are they may have a different seat mechanism). They suffer from the same issues, but with the updated chassis and seats the mounting options have changed. This install uses the shimming of the entire frame brace that the seat mounting is on, and does not require velcro or seat shim pads.
This kit comes in 2 varieties –
- Standard 8mm shim – After ride testing by multiple riders, 8mm was the sweet spot for leveling out the seat but not raising it excessively at the front. This has been tested to be great for long rides. (Note: on some bikes the 8mm height may cause the front seat plastic cowling to rise slightly from the tank, refer to the instructions for insights on remediating this.)
- Pro Adjustable 6+2 mm Shim – Some riders prefer some forward lean on the seat for most spirted riding, and then a more flat seat for longer rides. This kit will allow fairly easy adjustments based on riding preference. Other shim heights may be released in the future.
(Note: MT-09 compatibility is in progress, feedback from preview/testers showed there was a fitment issue that needs to be addressed, this product currently only fits the +2021 Tracer 9GT) – If you would like to help test fitment of the 2021+ MT-09 Option please email email@example.com and let me know! (Currently looking for customers in the US to reduce shipping times and turnaround on iterating parts)
Click on the images below for larger views.
The setup uses removable pads that go under the front feet of the seat, and a spacer/offset bushings to raise the mount without moving the tank mounting position excessively.
- Front OEM stock and Yamaha Comfort seat for the 2021+ Yamaha Tracer 9 GT. (No info on any aftermarket seat compatibility at this time)
- Works with the seat in the factory low or high positions.
- MT-09 Compatibility is in progress, but this shim will not fit the frame currently on a ’21+ MT-09
Frame Shims- Industrial Grade Carbon Fiber PA12 Nylon – High temperature, high strength, high durability and chemically resistant material.
Rubber Bushings- Soft TPU rubber. This is to ensure the vibration isolation of the tank mounts is maintained.
Included with the kit:
- 2x offset grommets for the rear mount of the fuel tank to the mounting plate, this allows the bracket to be moved upward without changing the tank rear height more than 3 or 4mm, a height change that is almost not visible and looks natural. Printed in TPU rubber to retain the vibration isolation of the stock setup. The stock spacer/washers slide into the TPU like the original bushings.
- Seat Frame Brace Shims
- Pro Adjustable Kit: 2x 6mm Pads, and 2x 2mm shims for adjustability
- Standard Kit: 2x 8mm Pads
- 4x 6mm Zinc Plated Alloy Steel bolts (Class 12.9)
- 4x 6mm Washers
Tools required to install:
- 5mm Hex Wrench
- 10mm socket/wrench
- Blue Thread lock compound
- Torque Wrench (12Nm for the main bolts, 7Nm for the fuel tank bolts)
Click below for instructions on installing this kit:
Instructions for installing and setting up the Yamaha ’21+ Tracer 9GT Seat Slope mod kit.
One of our customers made a video on youtube of the install: YouTube: Tracer 9GT Seat Slope Mod Install https://youtu.be/pzTtIupYESU
JK3D will warranty the Yamaha FJ/FZ/MT/Tracer Seat Slope Mod from breaking or material failure for a period if 6 months from date of order. (NOTE – Preview Orders cannot be returned, but do carry the same warranty). To submit a warranty claim please email firstname.lastname@example.org and include your order number, picture of the damage/issue, and description of the problem and JK3D will get you taken care of! If you have any issues or challenges with this product please email me and we will find a solution!
SL (verified owner) –
Added this to my ’21 Tracer 9 GT and it works very good. Install was maybe 30 minutes with help from good ol youtube. Parts all fit easily. Good product, and for sure recommend.
Ned (verified owner) –
I have a 2021 Tracer 9GT and I put 6000 miles on the stock seat and was relatively pleased overall, but found the forward slope annoying. I’m 5′-8″ and 150 lbs.
I ordered the Pro Kit. I installed the 6mm Base and it was better, then added the additional 2mm Shim and went on a 1000 mile trip. I really like this change and for $35 shipped I’m very pleased and would recommend this product. If the forward slope bothers you, I would just order the Standard 8mm Shim I don’t think I will ever remove the 2mm Shim.
I did have a little trouble reinstalling the tank bolts but after I loosened all of the mounting bolts it went together fine.
Chris (verified owner) –
not sure how i came across this part googling seat issues after getting my tracer 9.!
But what a beauty ! At around 6ft and getting a little beyond “mid years” i found the usual sliding onto the fuel tank syndrome even at seat set at high.
This arrived to me in UK within 8 days (better than some home deliveries !).
Fitted carefully within an hour (hardest part as always removing / refitting small side fairings within damaging….)
Immediately found the improved seat position and felt much easier to the grips.
A simple but effective well engineered add on
Well done !
KYRIAKOS XOUPLIDIS (verified owner) –
Makes a bery big difference!well spend money and time to fit! highly recommended!!!
I just wonder If this seat shim kit is compatible with a tracer 9 GT from 2022? If you know, please tell me. Thanks!
Joe Kelly –
Yes this kit works for the 2022 model Tracer 9 GT!